Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

My Ice Maker quit working. I have a Kenmore Coldspot side by

Customer Question

My Ice Maker quit working. I have a Kenmore Coldspot side by side. Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
hi thanks for using just answer. is the arm on the ice maker up, or down. if up it wont allow water in check that & let me know. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This freezer has water in the door as well as the ice bucket. There is no arm, it is controlled by optical sensors. I hve run the diagnostics for the optics and according ot the tech sheet, the optics are functioning properly.

Thanks
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
so you are saying, that you have water in the ice bucket& not in the ice maker
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Sorry for the confusion. Meaning that the water dispenser is built into the door and the ice bucket is in the door as well, there is no arm to turn ice making on and off, it is opticaly controlled. I put that out there as it was a question asked by the tech at the appliance parts store. He gave me the diagnostic instructions for testing the optics. Said if the optics were good it is likely the water control valve for the ice maker. Have you worked on the newer models?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
so the water dispenser. is ok. yes i would check the water valve. i will get back to you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So can you tell me how to check the water valve?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
do you have a volt meter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
ok take the wires off the water valve and check the continuety at the 2 terminals
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The purple valve appears to have continuity. The white valve appears to not have continuity
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
ok the valve that doesnt have is faulty. replace the water valve. if i helpedyou with your fridge please accept. with a positive feed back , and a bonus is always nice. thanks the appliance doc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to ensure that I did this right and I am interpreting the readings correctly.

My meter is set to Ohms. I removed the leads from each of the switches. I tested continuity across each switch. The first valve (Purple) gave me a 345 reading with very few bars across the bottom of the screen. I tested across the second valve (white) and it gave me a 226.3 with many bars across the bottom of the screen.

I am using a Fluke 73 Multimeter.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
then the valves are ok. reverse the wires on the valves. ant then push the water dispensor if you get water, in the ice maker, then your problem is in the electronics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After switching the wires from one valve to the other, No water came out of the dispenser. What next?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you still there??

Can you tell me what the next steps are in fixing this problem?

Thanks!
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

I have been asked to pickup this question. From the all information that I have just read above, it points to the water valve. You should replace that.

This is what you have stated that leads to the water valve

"After switching the wires from one valve to the other, No water came out of the dispenser."

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, got the part, replaced the valve assembly and bled the water line by running about 2 gallons of water through the water dispenser. It has been about 30 minutes now and so far no sound of the ice maker loading water. Is there anything I can do to force a load to test and make sure the value is working?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

It will take 24 hours for the ice maker to run correctly. Do not attempt to force the ice maker to load water.

If you have doubts, you can run that same test above. Switch the wires and see if you now get water thru the dispenser. You should get water either way if the valve is working correctly.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I will let you know the outcome and accept the support and write you a review.

Stay tuned.
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Every time you post at this question it generates an automatic email to me. So, all you have to do is post back here. I check in a couple of times every day.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No ice.....I have not re-tested the valves.

I noticed that the lugs on each valve are different sizes and the push on clips will not go over the lugs of the other valve.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The valves are what you do want to test.

Just to check, you ran this test before and the wires clips did fit on the old valve (when you switched them)? Did the new valve look exactly like the old one?

Also, take the hose from the ice maker side off and put another temporary hose to a bucket on it. Let's see that the water comes out of that valve.

You can use some electrical tape to tape the connections on it's only for a quick test to confirm that solenoid for the ice maker is working.

If you don't get the both valves working after you test them, then check the voltage for the wires when you press the dispenser button and if there is any voltage from the ice maker's wires (separately).

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>OK, I rigged some wiring between the lugs on the valve and the connector that would not fit over them. Esientally, I was putting the water dispenser connectors on the ice maker valve. When I press the water dispenser, I could hear the valve cut on and water was pumpiong up into the ice maker. This tells me that the ice maker is the problem, not the valves.</p><p> </p><p>What next?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Charlie</p>

HiCustomer

I had thought that you had done this test on the original water valve.

Anyway, from what you have stated above -

"I hve run the diagnostics for the optics and according ot the tech sheet, the optics are functioning properly."

The optic switching is ok and the water valve is ok. So, we move to the icemaker to test.

Check the wire connections for the icemake to be certain that they are good.

Click below for what you will need to do further testing. If the optics are good, then you can go to page 5-5 and run the component testing. If you find the problem there, you will likely be replacing the icemaker.

Please click here - Icemaker

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bernie,

I finally got to stay in town long enough to replace the icemaker. It fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help and your patience.

I will accept and write a response.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

You're welcome and thank you for the "accept". Good work on the fix. If you get a chance to give feedback, I would truly appreciate it. It let's others know the job that we have done.

bernie