Accuratejoe
Accuratejoe, Master Electrician
Experience:  I own Accurate Mechanical, A full service HVACR and electrical company, I have 25 years experience.

I have a Hunter Gravity Vented Wall Furnace model # XXXXX 30-3.

Customer Question

I have several items that I am hoping you can assist me with.
1. I am looking for an owner's manual. Do you know how I can locate this?
2. How do I remove the glass?
3. The pilot lights but not the burner. What are the possible reasons for this?
4. Are there cleaning instructions available for this unit?
5. Are there authorized or recommended repair men in the Detroit MI area?
6. If replacement parts are required, where can I obtain them?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Accuratejoe replied 5 years ago.
good morning
Could not turn up anything on search.
Can you take pictures of furnace, wiring diagram and post them on photobucket at post me back addresss and I might be able to help you with your problem.
Sounds like a safety or gas valve.
Do you Have carbon monoxide detector in your house?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not have a carobon monoxide detector. The pilot is lit. Do I need to turn it off?

I'm not sure what photo bucket is, but I've attached pictures here. The pictures are not very clear. I'm not sure how to take a picture of the wiring diagram. I don't have a manual.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Sorry, I run a full time mechanical business and I had to work.
To take glass off there should be screws in between the louvers.
I did a little research and found the company sell mostley in Uk.
The Unit looks old. I suggest replacing it.
I think the unit is vented. If so, if you switch to unvented you will save alot of money on your gas bills.
it looks like the gas valve is not switched to the on postion.
There should be a little indent in the gas valve to indicate the position.
It appears to be on pilot.
Switch to on and it should come on.
To clean gas logs, very carefully remove logs and vaccum all dust and debree with vaccum. Next I blow them out with nitrogen. But you can used compressed air.
You can call you local heating company, any good service tech can repair gas logs.
Last but most important. Carbon monoxide kills many familys every year. It is orderless and you won't know until you are sick or just don't wake up.
Go tonight to lowes and buy a plug in model and put in room with gas logs.
Also if you have gas furnace, you should have one on each floor.
I hope this anwsered your questions.
Bonuses show gratude for the time spent.
Hit accept is how we get paid.
Please leave feedback so I can do a better job.
Thank you for your time
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. When you suggest the gas valve is not in the on position, I'm assuming you are referring to the know that has off, pilot and on. There is a red mark that is lined up with the on indicator. I lit the pilot light with the "pilot" indicator in the vertical position. What position are you suggesting is "on"?

In addition, in the picture, the round dial on the far right is in the off position. Since the burner unit will not light, I thought it best to keep that in the off position, until it lights.

According to my research Hunter was bought by Martin Industries who was later bought by Montessen Hearth. What company in the UK manufactures these? I would like to obtain an owner's manual.

Are you also suggesting the gas logs need to be repaired?

Once the pilot lights for 1 minute, turn the dial where the red knob is to on.
Then try to turn the other knob and see if it comes on.
If not post back
Accurate Joe
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The red mark is currently lined up with "ON". When i turn the dial on to start the main burner, nothing happens. That has beent he problem from the beginning.
Does the unit have electric going to it?
I could not read the diagram.
could you take a better picture of diagram?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was unable to take a better picture of the wiring diagram. Thank you for your help. I called a technician to resolve the issue.
Sorry I was unable to help. I gave it my best shot.
Just because I was not able to anwser your question, don't feel bad about Just Answer.
We do are very best, XXXXX XXXXX time. I enjoy helping people.

If this answers your question Please hit accept, this is how we get paid.
If you need more information, please post back.
Thank you for your time.