John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Maytag Performa washer LAT2500AAE Spin cycle stopped spinning.

Maytag Performa washer LAT2500AAE Spin cycle stopped spinning. Burn rubber smell, so got new belts. Belts not problem, but by pushing on the belt, something went "click" and spin started working again. Three weeks later, spin quit again. Tried pushing on belt, not working this time. Likely problem? Cost to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hi let me check the model #
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hi i think the original problem was the belts, because of the burnt smell. but i think when you touched the belts somehow the lid switch connected. the washer must have been on. so you should try to adjust the lid switch. sometimes all it needs is a spray of W D 40 to solve this i will send yoy a break down of the lid switch.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hres the diagram. if your happy with my answer and i helped you repair your washer. please accept, with a positive feed back . the appliance doc
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hope this helps
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This has nothing to do with the lid switch. The lid switch is working fine. I was pushing on the belt WHILE THE BELT WAS MOVING. The clicking was either the motor mechanism shifting or the brake releasing, I think. I just don't understand how that whole setup works.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hi when you touched the belt when the motor was running the motor switch cut of and on, iy looks like you have a tuf bearing problem its the bearing just under the tank you nan see it by looking up from the transmission. its about a $ 300.00 job. hope i helped you with your washer. please accept i am here to help. the appliance doc
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

After I pushed on the belt, it clicked and started working. It then worked for 3 weeks, doing many loads of wash. Now, it stopped working again.

It could have worked for three weeks with bearing problem?

If so, is it worth fixing for $300, or spend $600 on a new one, in your opinion? My income is low, but I have the money for the new one.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
hi. you will never buy a better washer, than the one you have. did you oil the motor cradle, so the motor is nice and free. when it spins does it spin fast enough. if all those are ok. and still not spinning . yes a bearing job . the washer you have is the best that maytag ever built. best washer ever built. so if it needs it ,get it done. hope i have helped you, with the washer. please accept. with a positive feed back. the appliance doc