Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

My side by side GE refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker

Customer Question

My side by side GE refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker do not work. The ice had filled the bottom of the freezer section and evidence that the water had come from behind the ice maker. I completely defrosted the unit to give everything time to thaw. After completely thawing there were no leaks inside the refrig. or freezer. I think the water pump might be the problem. Do you think I need to replace the pump.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The water valve is on the back of the refrigerator where your house's waterline connects to the refrigerator. It has to sides out of it. One goes to the water dispenser and the other to the icemaker. These do tend to be the problem.

If you remove the water lines that feed that two areas while leaving the house's waterline connected you can see if the one going to the icemaker is leaking. It is not supposed to leak water. It should only open the valve when the icemaker calls for water.

If the valve leaks then you replace the whole valve.

Please let me know if you would like more information or clarification. We will need you to post the model number from the inside wall of the fresh food compartment to give specifics.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it turns out the valve does not leak, then do I assume the water line is clogged between the valve and the water dispenser?

Hi golgrozz,

That would be unusual. I do remember one where a new filter was causing the problem!

If that line was clogged, it might mean that you have defrost problem or that the refrigerator's thermostat was keeping things too cold and freezing the line.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help

Your welcome and thank you for the accept and bonus. You can post back at this question for a couple of days if you would like more information about this.