Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

Have had both the motherboard and defrost heater replaced on

Have had both the motherboard and defrost heater replaced on my GE side-by-side. Still getting ice build up in the freezer and the refrigerator is not cooling nor is the freezer freezing food. What should I do now? Call a technician or buy a new refrigerator. I have already spent $500 on parts and labor for this problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

When was the replacement done? The technician should be able to warranty his work for for 30 days. So, if they do we would have the tech come back.

We usually will replace the evaporator fan assembly kit when we replace the board. This is because GE's need them both done usually (if the board has failed).

If he did not do this then, you will likely be having to replace the borad and the evaporator fan kit to do this fix. If they aren't going to cover it (the tech), then it would be expensive to do all over again. So, if the unit is more than 7 years old we would advise that you consider a new refrigerator which will save you electricity (and money).

Let me know if you would like more information or clarificatiion.