Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

I have a Maytag Gemini Electric Double Oven range, that is

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Gemini Electric Double Oven range, that is about 3 years. The lower oven will not heat. We hear a clicking noice and the temp will not rise. The broiler elements still work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HICustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Please give us a bit more information so that we can answer this best.

What is the model number from the cabinet of the range? On this range I believe you may find it between the doors (after you open the bottom and top oven doors) on the cabinet.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

model: MER6755AAW

serial: 18226365JC

HICustomer

I'm on the way home and I should be there in approximately 40 minutes or so. I will post back then if you can wait.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That will be fine. We just turned off the breaker and reset everything on the oven. The broiler element works but not the heating element in the lower over. Upper oven works great.

Thank you.

Hi pinsterhaus,

We would look at the bake element to be the problem because you do not describe any problem with the controls or the broiler element.

You would want to confirm that the bake element is receiving approximately 220-240 volts with a multi-meter. There is dangerous voltage there. If you do not have basic electrical experience (or understand how to do this) please have someone more experienced do this.

If it is receiving the correct voltage then, we test the bake element itself.

Unplug range and remove the bake element and check for resistance for ohms. The lower oven bake element should have approximately 21.3 ohms. If it does not, then you would replace the lower back element.

If it is not receiving the correct voltage then, you would trace the wiring to see if there is a problem there.

Let me know if you would like more information or clarification. You can post back here for a couple of days.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We will check this out tomorrow. Thank you.

Hi pinsterhaus,

I'll check for you follow-up tommorrow.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bernie,

The bake element is not receiving voltage. We are tracing the wiring back to the control panel for the lower oven. We aren't receiving voltage from the control board for the lower unit for the baking mode only for the broiler.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your advice. We need to replace the control panel.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the "accept". We want to be sure about this.

Have you check the wiring and the wiring harness itself? Be sure that you have continuity from the element to the board by testing.

Also, Do this TEST to confirm that you need a new board.

"Quick Test" Mode for Electronic Range Control

Follow the procedure below to perform the Electronic Range Control (ERC) quick test. Instructions must be entered

within 32 seconds of each other (via the touch pad) or the ERC will exit the quick test.

1. Press and hold UPPER CANCEL and BROIL pads for 3 seconds.

2. Once the control has entered the "Quick Test" mode, release both pads.

3. Press each of the following pads indicated in the table below.

NOTE: Press the applicable pad once to activate the associated response.

Press the applicable pad a second time to deactivate the associated response.

Display will indicate the following:

Pad Response

UPPER BAKE...................... Upper Bake DLB and Upper Bake relay activated

LOWER BAKE.....................Lower Bake DLB and Lower Bake relay activated

TOAST................................. DLB relays activated

UPPER BROIL .................... Upper Broil DLB and Upper Broil relay activated

LOWER BROIL ...................Lower Broil DLB and Lower Broil relay activated

UPPER KEEP WARM......... Motorized Door Lock - Upper

LOWER KEEP WARM........ Motorized Door Lock - Lower

OVEN LIGHT.......................Oven lights activated

COOK & HOLD.................... Displays last diagnostic code

LESS (-)............................... Displays EEPROM version number

MORE (+) ............................ Displays main code version number

CLOCK ................................ All display segments illuminated

Description of Error Codes

The Diagnostic Code Display Mode allows viewing of the error diagnostic codes.

Each error code consists of four digits. The following table describes the function of each digit.

Digit Description

1st Primary System: 1 - Local to the control circuit board

3 - Sensor or meat probe

4 - Control input

9 - Door lock

2nd Error Type: d - Diagnostic: measurable parameter

c - Control related, replace control

3rd Secondary System: Sequential numbering

4th Oven Cavity: 1 - Upper oven (or single cavity oven)

2 - Lower oven

c - Control specific

Diagnostic Code Display Mode is accessed via the Quick Test Mode. To view the last 5 error codes, enter the Quick

Test Mode by pressing and holding the UPPER CANCEL and UPPER BROIL pads for 3 seconds within 5 minutes

of power-up. Diagnostic Code Display Mode may be activated only when applying power to the control

Please let me know if you would like more information or clarification. You want to be sure you need the board before ordering one.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bernie,

We have checked the wiring harness. We have continuity between the board and heating element. We do not have voltage leaving the board to the heating element. Yes, the heating element is still registering ohms.

We tried to run the diagnostic code, but the contol panel would not cooperate. We have even rest factory settings and still nothing.

HiCustomer

Good work. Everything points to the control board. I haven't seen this specific failure of the board before. It's more common that several functions fail and not just one.

If continuity is good everywhere, then replacing the board is correct at this point.

bernie