Dave123
Dave123, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years of service. General appliance tech for most all makes&models

Microwave, GE Spacemaker, over-the-range, model # XXXXX

Customer Question

Microwave, GE Spacemaker, over-the-range, model # XXXXX 002, serial # XXXXX Stopped working in June 08 - table wouldn't rotate and it didn't "microwave". Fans and lights worked. Had tech look at unit on site. He said it had a bad micro switch engagement - when you jiggled the door, all worked as it should. With tech's list of needed parts (middle and lower micro switch and the bracket that holds all 3 switches) I installed replacement parts. All worked well -- unit repaired. Now doing same as before; won't rotate and "microwave". Possibly the third, un-replaced switch (upper) has failed? Is there a way to test the switches? Can I take the whole bracket with the switches into a repair shop and have them test the switches? Am I looking in the wrong spot? It's a custom installation and it won't be easy pulling the unit, or replacing it with unit that has same mounting holes/method.        Jerry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer If you jiggle the handle a little can u still get it to work now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope.
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.

OK, This is what i have found with this model from my experience. First yes you would need those switches again. However, With the switch assymbly out pull the metal inbetween the oven cavity and the control area out slightly. So where the door hooks go threw to ctah the switch. What happens is it is slighly bent inward and causes you to go through door switches faster because it's really not making good contact. By pulling that section out a little it makes better contact, But yes you are describing a switch problem. But don't think they are bad just yet. If you pull out the assembly you can verify which switch is bad. Using a multi meter. Use the continuity setting if it has 1 or use the Ohm's setting. Should read 0 on a good switch. Hook your leads up to each one and push the button to confirm if there good or bad. also make sure door is aligning good. If you have any other questions on this let me know. Be glad to help further.

Thank you,

Dave

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
35 year old, analog, Radio Shack ohm/volt meter indicates no continuity with switch fully engaged. W/ switch button 1/2 way depressed, continuity is registered. Me no rocket sci-guy, but switch appears to be bad. Don't know why tech-guy didn't recommend replacing it along w/ others earlier. 3 questions:
1) can u supply p/n for replacement micro switch?
2) can I buy same on line direct?
3) can I apply my deposit to my debit card instead of a credit card (my mistake)?
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.

Sounds bad to me to... lol.. Ok here's the part#'s for the switches i'll give you to diagram with both part numbers. on diagram part 1445 is part number WB24X817 and on diagram part 1446 is part number WB24X10047. You can find these switches at most appliance places i use apwagner.com. And unfortanetly i can't change your deposit info. Here's the diagram.. And thank you,, Dave

Dave123, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years of service. General appliance tech for most all makes&models
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ThaaaaaaaaaaannnnnngKeeeeew!
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.

No problem... lol... let me know if you have any other questions regarding this matter and thank you for the accept.

Thank you,

Dave

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am told by the appliance parts supplier that your micro-switch part # XXXXX (for the upper switch), does not match with what they show for the model JVM1542WF 002. They show a p/n WB24X10029. I want to make sure I order the correct part the first time. Can you confirm correct part number?

Thanks.

Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.

Yes that would be correct also, I was checking and a i found sears and some other places have 2 diffrent numbers. I have confirmed that the 29 number is XXXXX also. Let me know if you need anything else..

Thank you,

Dave