Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Maytag Top-Load Dependable Care washer, model LAT5916AAE.

Customer Question

We have a Maytag Top-Load Dependable Care washer, model LAT5916AAE. It is approximate 12 years old. Just recently it began shaking violently during the spin cycles. There is no water remaining in the tub and the clothes are washed effectively.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sounds like the adjustable legs have come loose and its out of ballance, on these machines there are nuts one the leg ajusts. if you tip machine back and look at the legs you will see these nuts on the screw part of the legs one or more has probably loosend and needs to be adjusted and then tighten the bolts. here a picture of legs witthe bolts
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sorry got cut off for some reason, heres the picture of legs Part 832599adjust the legs until it doesnt shake anymore then thighten bolts up, this should take care of problem. hope this helps, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did put a level on the washer and it appeared level in both directions. However, I didn't check to see if the nuts were tight on the legs.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If the legs are level and nuts tightened and result is the same, what else could be wrong? Could it be a motor bearing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
the body of the washer being level really isn't what counts, the inner part of the washer like the tub is whats important. the way i do these is first check and see witch leg or legs the nuts are loose on then put the waher isn spin and take a pair of plyers and adjust while its spining as you turn them when it stops shaking this is where you want to tighten them . sometimes it taes a little playing with them but usually you will get it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well the motor wouldn't cause this but its possible the belts may have a chunk missing or you could have a bad spring on the tub. its hard to say . these are a pain when they start shaking to adjust them, theres a possibility the spin bearing is shot also, this will cause shaking also.let me know if adjusting works , thanks Bryan