Ask Accurate Appliance Service Your Own Q...

Accurate Appliance Service
Accurate Appliance Service, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  5 Years in business, Authorized Service Company for 3 manufacturers, NATE Cert. for HVAC
12391992

Bottom freezer door left slightly open overnight. Now lights

Customer Question

Bottom freezer door left slightly open overnight. Now lights don't work in either freezer drawer. But everything else seems ok; no ice coming out of icemaker, but icemaker is on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Accurate Appliance Service replied 5 years ago.
What is the brand and model number?
Experience: 5 Years in business, Authorized Service Company for 3 manufacturers, NATE Cert. for HVAC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi - it's a 700 series sub-zero [700 TC1 LH] with two freezer drawers. The temperature of the freezer now, according to the control panel, is back down to about 5 degrees above zero. Everything seems to be working, except the drawers are "dark." And no ice has come out of the icemaker yet. No service light warning on. Refrigerator section working fine, and all the motors, condenser etc. seem fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Turn the icemaker off and then on to quickly cycle it if it is cold enough. The light switches on these are very finicky and can easily get frozen up. Can you pull the drawers out and off to get your hands on the switches? If you can wait about a week the ice in th switches will evaporate by itself if the drawers are used normally and not left open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Peter - Ok, I recycled the icemaker switch. The freezer seems to be working....a dish of cold water that I put in the bottom drawer is freezing over. So it's just the light function. I pulled out the drawer and jiggled the light bulb. Could the bulb have burned out as a result of being "on" all the time the drawer was ajar? If it continues to not come on, I'll unscrew the bulb and replace with a new one.
The bulb could have easily burned out from being on for so long. Is the light socket getting power witht the drawer open?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how woud I know if the light socket is getting power?
With either a non-contact voltage sensor (commonly called a glowstick) or with a voltmeter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay - you are getting beyond where I can go. The lightbulb is very tighly fitted and hard to remove. I guess I'll have to get my regular handyman out for that little job. But you have helped me, and the ice maker is starting to spit out ice. So I'm relieved for now, and seem to be dealing with a pretty small problem - non functioing lightbulb, which can easily wait until Monday.