Edward, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Small and large Appliance Technician, Electronic Tech., Handyman, 40+ years ex

Our Dryer appears to be overheating. I plan on looking at

Our Dryer appears to be overheating. I plan on looking at the vent path and and possibly replacing the hi-limit thermostat, is there anything else I should be checking?

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the dryer?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you use fabric softener or the softener sheets?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Maytag DE482

Went to use the dryer as normal, timer worked but my wife shut it off as she could smell the dryer through our house airvents upstatirs. Clothes were very hot with someT-shirt graphics yellowed.

Just happened last night so I have not started working. It's been 2 years since I've cleaned out the vent tubing. (Had to get a credit card out of the dryer)

We have never used softener sheets in the 12years we've had the dryer. Water runs through the lint catch without pooling of water.

I suspect lint has built up inside the duct and possible inside the dryer itself. The high limit thermostat should not have to operate if the dryer is operating correctly. The high limit thermostat should have shut it den before the dryer got that hot. Often the duct inside the dryer can become clogged with lint and the blades on the blower motor can also need cleaning. Any restriction in the air flow will cause the dryer to overheat. The image below is an exploded view of the blower area of the dryer.

Other views of the dryer can be viewed by clicking here. The site linked has very helpful information on replacing parts and repairing the dryer.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.