Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have an smaller size GE fridge/freezer(I rent - age unknown).

Customer Question

I have an smaller size GE fridge/freezer(I rent - age unknown). The past 6 months, it intermittently will make a funny noise (sort of 1/2 like a belt squealing and a 1/2 motor stalling) for about 15-20 seconds just before the fan for the refrigerator (not the freezer) kicks in - It does not happen every time and if I press the ceiling of the fridge where the noise is most prominent while it is happening, it will stop and the fan will kick in.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 years ago.
It is not uncommon for these small freezer fan motors to mke these squealing noises - replace this motor . gtive me the model and I'll look it up for you
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the model number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello? did you get my reply to your request for the model number for the fridge? If not, it is GE fridge model #VL12JYKRW-3.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to pay you Tom. You said you would look up kind of fan motor I need from the model number... This is my first time on this site... I am worried if accept at this point, I will lose the connection and will not get your reply... I'll try again - hopefully you get this info... it is a GE fridge model #VL12JYKRW-3 Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It would appear that you are now offline Mr. Goellner and you have not recieved my reply to your question of the model number.. I thank you for your answer, and will accept it. Would you please follow up with the information you offered to look up for me: the type of fan motor I need for a GE fridge model #VL12JYKRW-3. My email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
I could not find any GE fridges that start with VL all though the rest of that model number looks correct ( normally start with the letter T or G ) Easiest way to get correct motor is to take it out and go to a local appliance parts store and let them give you the correct part as there are after market motors that will also work
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-you