I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
13086822

I have a Maytag oven with the sealed surface burners. Today

Customer Question

I have a Maytag oven with the sealed surface burners. Today I went to clean it and one of the burners literally came off the top of the stove. I could see the pipe where the burner connected to the gas line. I put it back in there but now I'm wondering if I'm going to die in a horrible gas explosion or something the next time I try to light the stove.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />Welcome to Just Anwser
My name is Ican.
And I can help you!

What is the Complete model number and the maker of your gas range.
Also what is the country its in!
Waiting your response.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what the model number is. I can't find it anywhere on the thing. And I'm pretty sure I cant move it to look behind it. And the top doesn't flip open where I pilot would be on most ranges (it has an electric ignitor anyway). It's a maytag though. Looks mostly like the MGR5775QD model. Must be an older model though. Tiny bit different. And this is in north america.
Expert:  I.can replied 6 years ago.
The model nuber is found in the door jam of the storage drawer on the botton right or left side .
Slide the lower storage drawer out 8 inches and it will expose a sticker that is usually silver or light gray!
I'll check the number you gave me and wait for your response!
You will have to get down on the floor to see this sticker.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the model is MGR4452BDQ
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Two of them lift out. The other two, which are the exact same, are sealed into place, which leads me to believe that they're not supposed to come out. This thing is old by the looks of it. Dirty no matter how much I scrub and scrub at it. I'm not sure how long it's been here (it's in the apartment we're renting).
Expert:  I.can replied 6 years ago.
If you say it is so old and it is in a rental, did you ask the landlord to fix it?
I'm going to ask a supervisor about this range.
I think they all should be able to be removed and that the other two have not been cleaned and are stuck on as a result!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took an old toothbrush and cleaned the other two for quite some time. I really don't think theyre just stuck lol.. I read theyre supposed to be sealed.
Expert:  I.can replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer/strong>
Welcome to Just Answer
My name is Ican.
And I can help you!

I finally found the repair manual for your range, and the top or the head portion as it is called does come off but not the base which should be secured permanently!
Wow this was a challenge to find for such an old range!
But I am called, "Ican" because I never give up till the job is done!
I love my job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This means you need service to re-install them properly!
Below are cleaning instructions too!

Sealed Gas Burners
The sealed burners of your range are secured to the cook top
and are not designed to be removed. Since the burners are
sealed into the cook top, boil overs or spills will not seep
underneath the cook top.
However, the burner should be cleaned after each use. The
head portion of the burner is easily removed for cleaning.
(See page 20 for cleaning directions.)
The burner heads must be correctly placed on the burner
base for proper operation of the burner.

Parts
Burner Caps and Sealed Gas burners

PROCEDURE

Removable Burner Caps
Allow burner to cool. Remove burner cap and wash in soapy water with a plastic scouring pad. For
Burners stubborn soils, clean with a soap-filled, nonabrasive pad or Cooktop Cleaning Creme*
(Part #20000001)** and a sponge.
• Do not clean in the dishwasher or self-cleaning oven.

Sealed Gas Burners
• Clean frequently. Allow burner to cool. Clean with soap and plastic scouring pad. For stubborn soils,
clean with a soap-filled, nonabrasive pad. Do not enlarge or distort holes.
• Be careful not to get water into burner ports.
• Use care when cleaning the igniter. If the igniter is wet or damaged the surface burner will not light.

Burner Grates -Porcelain on Cast Iron
• Wash with warm, soapy water and a nonabrasive, plastic, scrubbing pad. For stubborn soils,
Porcelain on clean with a soap-filled, nonabrasive, plastic pad or Cooktop Cleaning Creme* (Part #20000001)**
Cast Iron and a sponge. If soil remains, reapply Cooktop Cleaning Creme, cover with a damp paper towel and soak
for 30 minutes. Scrub again, rinse and dry.

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped.
This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Thank You for using Just Answer
Sincerely, Ican
Expert:  I.can replied 6 years ago.
At this site you may find an authorized Maytag Servicer,

http://www.servicebench.com/servlet/WebSideServlet?Request_Id=APPWhirlpoolDealerLocateBrandedGoto&Request_Server=servicebenchpublic&Request_Brand=M&Request_ReadUrl=Y