MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

My Kenmore Cold Sport Side by Side refrig wont make ice. Water

Customer Question

My Kenmore Cold Sport Side by Side refrig wont make ice. Water come out of the faucet and the ice crusher works.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I will be more than happy to help you out. There are a couple things to check for first.

Make sure the arm on the side of the icemaker is able to go completely up and all the way down without hitting anything inside the freezer.

Also check the tube that feeds water to the icemaker. It could be frozen shut and water is unable to pass through and enter the icemaker.

Check those first. Also make sure the temperature inside the freezer is 0 or below.

Make sure there is no frost building up on the rear panel inside the freezer compartment.

The Frost is an early sign of a defrost problem and the icemaker stops working because of poor air flow inside the freezer and the icemaker is not at proper temperature to cycle.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out further. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the arm on the side of the ice maker? Visible from just opening the door?
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

The arm will be visible just by opening the door. It is more than likely a little wire that hangs off the side.

If you are unable to locate it, send me the model number and I will look it up for you and post a diagram for you.

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can't locate it. Model Number is XXXXX
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Ok, I see your Icebin sits on the door. Your Icemaker is not going to have the wire bar on in. That bar is what would normally stop the icemaker when the ice bin is full.

With the bin being on the freezer door, it is controled by a sensor in the liner of the door.

First thing to do is pull the outside cover off of the icemaker. This is going to expose the gears and stuff inside the icemaker. Number 18 in the diagram is the cover i'm talking about. More than likely you either have a bad water valve, or the icemaker is bad.

To check the water valve watch this video

click this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PRQWoxTtLg

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. It is now 11:15am here. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.
No problem, let me know how you make out and we can go from there.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com!
Bill
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am waiting for a friend to come over who is more mechanically adept than I (who is hopeless).