John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

my kenmore trash compactor is jammed, item stuck between the

Customer Question

my kenmore trash compactor is jammed, item stuck between the ram and the sidewall of compactor . I can't get the door open enough to pull item out. I also can't tell how the unit is secured in the cabinets, so I can't pull it out. I took the front of the control panel off,but don't see any screws holding unit in place. If I turn unit on it attempt to work, but then I shut it right off because it's not moving. The unit is maybe 20 yrs. old, but works great. Font panel is labeled KENMORE COMpactOR.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi. thanks for your question. under neath the motor there should be a hex nut so in case of a jam. you can manually turn the motor to dislodge the obstruction. see if you have the nut. if not make sure the disposal is off and use the handle of a hammer to try and dislodge. http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_2.asp here is a picture. if your happy with my answer please accept. thanks the appliance doc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question referred to a trash compactor not a garbage disposal.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No this does not help. I had gone to that site before I contacted you. The picture doesn't help much. Would you know how the unit is secured inside the cabinet? If I can get it out I maybe be able to fix it or get the repair info from you.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
could you supply the model #
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi i know its not an easy fix, hi have seen them stuck before, and no way of opening it up. you cant get at the screws to take it out