John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a new GE refrigerator and the ice maker is frozen closed.

Customer Question

I have a new GE refrigerator and the ice maker is frozen closed. I can't seem to open it. No Ice will come down the shoot. I would look it up in the book but my wife threw out the operation manual inadvertantly last week. Please advise as to how to get the panel to open and get the ice flowing again. The model number isGSL 251 GXB LS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi thanks for your question. if the ice door is frozen shut, the only way is to turn the fridge off , and let the ice thaw, and try again, make sure the drain tube from the freezer to the drain tray at the back by the compressor is not clogged , and clean the coils at the back. try that and let me know i am here to help you thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. The unit is only 3 months old. It has indvidual controls for the refrig side and the frezer side. Can I decrease the temperature on the frezer side to let the frzer side warm up a bit? Why would this happen to a new unit?
thanks Bob
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
hi no it wont allow the ice build up to thaw. you could have a drain problem . so that a lot of moisture has frozen at that area. after the thaw, clean the drain tube from the freezer to the drain tray . and try again, main thing now is to get the door open, without breaking parts because of the ice build up. i am sure its a drain problemm. please accept i am here to help you with this thanks the appliance doc
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. Off to a doctor's appt now. </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
ok talk later