Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a Kenmore 90 series washer - will not spin but hear

I have a Kenmore 90 series washer - will not spin but hear motor running - can not find a belt so I assume it is a direct drive. It is probably 4 or 5 years old-better to fix or buy a new washer?      thanks, Tommy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

IF this is the top loader with an agitator then, this machine is made by Whirlpool and is a direct drive.

If the washer has no agitation or spin, then this problem is often the coupler. This repair would be in the area of $100.00 to $150.00 depending on what the servicers get in your area. You can sometimes find the plastic broken pieces of the coupler under the machine when this happens.

If the machine is just not spinning, then this could be lid switch or a connection with it. The repair will be less than above if located quickly. You can check this by seeing if the lid switch will click and confirming it with an ohm meter to see if the switch opens and closes the circuit.

The other answers for not spinning are going to cost $150.00 to $350.00 (if you have a serious problem). These are not as common in a machine that is only 4 to 5 years old.

Let me know if you would like more information or clarification.