Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

My maytag washer Model #LAT8204AAE will not complete its wash

My maytag washer Model #LAT8204AAE will not complete it's wash cycle. When set on Regular Fabrics the machine stops when the dial moves to just before the rinse cycle. The unit is level and this same thing is now happening in the Permanent Press cycle as well. I was able to move the dial in the spin cycle just before the off position in order to empty the water. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

There are a number of items to check. Listing them here would not really not do justice to the information you will need to troubleshoot and repair.

So, I have uploaded the repair manual for your model.

When you go to the site to download do not use AOL. Use Internet Explorer or another browser because that site does not like AOL. Choose the "Free" option. After you download the file you will need to open it with Adobe or another application. You should already have that on your computer.

Click on this - WASHER

Pages 4-9 and 4-10 show the items that can cause the washer not to spin. We would first check the pump to be sure that nothing is clogging it. There is informtion on how to get to it and check it in the manual.

Let me know if what you find.

If you need clarification or more information please post back to this question.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not believe the pump is clogged. As I mentioned in my first question, when I set the washer dial to the spin cycle just before the off position it pumped out all of the water. The issue is that the washer will not go through the rinse cycle and therefor never reaches the spin cycle.

Additionally, I cannot get the manual to download. It gives me an error message when I click on Free stating that my IP address is already downloading a file and to please wait. I am not downloading anything else so I do not know why I am getting this message.

HiCustomer

Thank you for your patience.

Yes, I did notice that. You are probably right about the pump.

However, the two easiest items to check for these are the pump and the lid switch. We generally go there first and eliminate them so that we don't have to come back after tearing everything else apart. It is possible to have the pump not work quick enough in some situations that the timer is signaled to not spin. The machine is set so that if it thinks that water is in the tub it will not attempt to spin.

You can also check the lid switch to see if it clicks and (with an ohm meter) if it will open and close the circuit. The lid switch will not allow a spin if it thinks the lid is open.

You may have to clear your internet temporary files and then restart you computer. I have used that site sucessfully for some time. I had someone download a file earlier today.

Be sure that you are not using AOL. Internet Explorer seems to work best.

You may have to be persistent to get the download. You will find that it will be worth it when get it.

Please do not accept until you are happy with the information we have given you.

Let me know if you would like more information or if can not downloard the PDF file.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bernie,

Thanks for your response. If it were the lid switch, would that not keep the other cycles from working, such as agitation and the spin cycle itself when I set it to spin. When the unit stops, it still has water in it. When I move the dial to Spin it spins the drum and pumps out the water. Again, it fills, it agitates, and then stops with water in the drum and the dial does not reach the rinse cycle.
No, you can usually open the lid when the machine is agitating. For safety sake they don't want you having the lid open when it spins fast.
Do you hear the motor running (when it should be spinning but is not)?

Hi Tom,

If you do NOT hear the motor running then, this is what the repair manual gives exactly -

Under "Will Not Spin"

1. Door switch

2. Water level switch

3 Speed selector switch

4. Timer contacts

5. Pump jammed

6. Motor protector switch

7. Power supply - check motor with test cord.

Let me know if you would like more information.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bernie,

Should I be hearing anything during the rinse cycle? That is when I am not hearing anything. Again the dial or timer never reaches the spin cycle on its own. If I place it there manually, it spins and pumps the water out.

Hi Tom,

The machine is ending it's agitation. Then it starts to drain follow often by a short spin to take out more water before the rinse.

After the water is drained from the tub you may (or not) hear the motor trying to spin. If you did hear this we would be looking at a more serious repair.

If all you hear is the draining followed by no motor sound, then the information for troubleshooting the "No Spin" above is what is advised by the repair manual (I'm thinking that you've still had no sucess downloading it).

Because you are be able get the machine to spin afterwards, it does seem like the timer may be the issue. However, we usually see that another cycle will spin correctly when the timer has burned it's contacts in one area (and that is not what you are getting).

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances