Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

Hello, I have a problem with my 2002 GE/gss25jfmcww, its not

Customer Question

Hello, I have a problem with my 2002 GE/gss25jfmcww, it's not cooling or freezing properly. I have cleaned the fan coils. What should I do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Try this -

Check to be sure the gaskets are sealing on the doors.

Check to be sure that the lights inside turn off when the doors are closed. They should turn off 1/2" before the door closes.

Go into the freezer and check the back wall. Do you see frost on the back wall? This points to a problem with the defrost system.

If you want to check a defrost issue further and get the unit running (temporarily), you can remove the food and manually defrost the entire unit.

You can manually defrost the refrigerator by unplugging it and opening the doors. You can speed it up with a fan and/or carefully use a hair dryer to melt frost. The unit will take 12 to 24 hours to reach room temperature. Afterwards, you would plug it back in.

If the refrigerator works correctly after 24 hours, the problem was likely the defrost system and you will need to troubleshoot further. The problem will return in anywhere from a few days to a couple on months (some extreme cases).

Let me know if you would like more information.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bernie,

Before contacting this site, I checked for leaks around the doors with my thermo-temp tester (64`F) and the ambient temp is (68`F) and after cleaning the dust collected on the fan shroud I disconnected the unit, removed all items and let it set for two hours.

I found these simple steps on the web. Now as I understand I need to wait about 12-24 hours to see if that works?

Should I still follow the steps you outlined?

HiCustomer

You will want the machine to completely defrost and be completely at room temperature everywhere.

Did you find frost on the inside back wall of the freezer? That's was the question to lead to defrosting the machine manually.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, no there wasn't. I did allow the unit to reach room temp inside and out.

HiCustomer

If you did not see any frost and you are convinced the entire unit is at room temperature (including the area behind the freezer wall), then I would say that you can plug the machine back in.

If you have the problem immediately (and you do not have normal cooling within 24 hours) the problem is likely not the defrost system.

We would want to check the unit again after 24 hours to see what it is doing.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bernie,

There's not a hint of cool air inside the unit this morning. I think it's time to call for help?

HiCustomer

Yes, the problem is more serious than a DIY project. I would recommend that a servicer pick up from here. You can tell him what you have done already and observed. This should save time and money on the diagnostic.

However, you may (instead) want to use the money for a new refrigerator. This type of repair could be expensive and the service call might be put towards that purchase.

bernie