Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

Hello, I have a maytag neptune washer mah4000aww that has developed

Customer Question

Hello, I have a maytag neptune washer mah4000aww that has developed a problem. When I push start button it will run for approx. 7-9 seconds and then shut back off. I have tried different cycles on timer, but still does the same thing. I noticed the door lock light does not come on. Had it analyzed by service tech who said the motor control board is bad. Does this sound correct or should I be looking at something else? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

This problem is well documented. There is now a kit. You replace the control board and the door lock mechanism. It was found that the boards would blow again after replacement because the problem originates with a short in the door lock mechanism.

If the technician actually checked the washer we would agree with this.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it was actually looked at. The upper control board and door lock mechanism were replaced approx. 2 yrs. ago due to what you have mentioned. Tech is saying that the lower motor control board is causing this problem? I'm looking for second opinions before spending lots of $$$. Thanks

Did he explain what tests he performed on the upper control board and door lock mechanism?

You can usually look at the upper board at R11 and R12. If they are burned/melted then the same problem has returned. We don't normally see this. However, it definitely is something to look at.

Did he mention this?

He could very well be correct.

However, we would want to know what test(s) he performed to diagnose that the lower board was the problem. Has he seen this before (after an upgrade replacement)? We have not had this experience and unless we tested and found this we would not jump at that solution.

Let me know if you would like more information and what he tells you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Bernie,

No he did not explain what tests were done. Just a repair estimate was left with problem/costs.

I think that you should be able to discuss these points with him directly.

Let him know that you are trying to decide if you want to invest more money into this washer or purchase a new one and you need his help with this information.

You can also find out if how long he will guarantee the repair for and what would happen if there turned out to be another problem with the washer after he replaced the bottom board.

Most servicers will discuss this with you in an honest manner and allow you to make a better decision on your next step. We don't want to second guess another tech without knowing what he found.