Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello - I have a Maytag Gas Range - Model # XXXXX It

Customer Question

Hello - I have a Maytag Gas Range - Model # XXXXX   It won't heat up. I replaced the igniter, thinking that was the problem, but that stil didn't fix it. What do you recommend?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, I do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, I do

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the best way to test this is see if your getting 110 volts to the igniter, does the iginiter plug in or did you wirenut it? just unplug igniter if its plugged in and put your meter on the wires going to igniter and see voltage when you try bake , make sure you dont ground out wires . let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No - it shows no voltage

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me check the model you may have a bad erc(eletronic range control), this is your clock or erc these have relays in them and you may have a bad relay or a burn on the board itself. look at this and let me know. you will see the wires that go to bake on the back of this clock unplug range and remove back then locate the wire that has a b for bake remove this wire and tape off, then plug oven back in and put one probe on ground and the other on the b terminal and try bake .if you get not reading you have a bad clock. click here for picture. http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1035397&PPStack=1 let me know , Bryan. you should hear a click when bake comes on also
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There are no wires marked "B". The wire that comes up from the igniter is a red wire, and it goes to a green modular plug that spans 3 terminals on the ERC, plus one wire comes in from the oven light switch. When it's plugged in, the red wire goes to the terminal on the ERC marked "P4". Is that the one?

Not sure I understand what you want me to do - should I plug the green wiring module back into the ERC? If I do that, I won't be able to get the probe on the terminal.

I think you're telling me NOT to plug the green module back into the ERC, but to put one probe on the "P4" terminal and the other on the body of the range itself, and hit the bake button - is that right? What should my readout on the meter be?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok can you unplug the ignitor and just leave everything plugeed in erc and get your probe into the p4 plug and test? let me knoe , I believe you have a bad erc anyway. the contacts in the relay are probably burnt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The ignitor plugs in as part of a 4-wire module. If I plug the module back into the ERC, it covers the terminal for P4.

Are you saying I can slide the probe into the plug from the back, with it plugged into the ERC? I can do that, but just want to make sure that's what you're recommending.

The three terminals that the green plug actually plugs into (including the one that goes to the ingitor) appear to have a black spot on the spades, all in the same spot on the left edge. Does that sound like what you're saying is possibly burnt?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I see that you've gone offline - I need to go somewhere - hopefully you can respond later.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

yes if it looks burnt or black you may have a bad relay on the board and the black you see if from overheating most ;likely.and yes you can slide the probe into back of plug and then the other probe to ground and start the bake see if you get 110 volts off board. make sure igniter is unplugged down below. let me know bryan