Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite, Calypso type, washer. It starts its

I have a Kenmore Elite, Calypso type, washer. It starts its cycle but stops shortly. The error codes are different each time: Ld, SL, Ca or Cl. The model # XXXXX XXXXX What might the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
these are the code meanings check against your error codes. thanks Bryan
PF Power FailurePF flashes if the washer loses power during a running cycle. The washer does not flash PF when it is first plugged in.

Press START to continue the cycle from the moment that power was lost -OR-

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display and completely cancel the cycle.
FLFlood Condition FL flashes if any overfill condition occurs. This condition occurs when excessive water in the tub causes the overfill switch to trip. The control must realize that the trip was due to an overfill condition instead of a suds lack condition in order for FL to be displayed

With an overfill condition, the beeper repeats a warning every 10 seconds with no time-out. The pump is cycled in drain mode for 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off until the overfill switch resets or power is discontinued to the unit.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
Er Processor Reset Error This error code is displayed if the control failed to save cycle information during a power failure. This does not generate an error code beep.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
LFLong Fill If the water fill time exceeds ten minutes, the water valves are turned off and LF is flashed.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
CECommunications Error If there is any breakdown in communication between the machine controller and the motor controller, CE flashes and the unit beeps once.

Some common causes of CE errors include:

· Conformal coating on serial communications pins between the machine controller and motor controller. After disconnecting power to the unit, try scraping this coating off the pins.

· Check the resistance values between the serial communications pins with the connectors in place. Make sure the harness does not have a bad connection.

· Check the quick disconnect at the motor terminal. The drive motor must be hooked up properly or a CE error will occur.

· Drive motor thermal protector has opened.

·Motor controller is not powered or fuse has opened. Replace motor controller.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
Ld Long Drain Ld flashes if it takes longer than 5 minutes to pump out water to a point where the operating pressure switch resets.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
CA
Cl
Average current limit Or
Instantaneous current limit
If a status signal comes back from the motor controller that a current limit has been breached, the unit will return to standby mode and display either CA for average current limit trip or Cl for instantaneous current limit trip.

Average current trip occurs if there is a 2 second average of current draw greater than 5.55 amps at the motor windings.

Instantaneous current trip occurs if there is a spike of 26 amps instantly at the motor windings.

This may signify problems with the drive motor, thermal protector, or motor controller. Over-loading the unit may cause this problem.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display
ob Off Balance If the motor controller detects an unrecoverable off-balance condition, the machine controller will shut down and display an ob for Off Balance

The lid switch must be opened at least once before restarting the cycle, if this condition occurs. Opening the lid will allow the customer to view and redistribute the load.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
SrStuck Relay Sr signifies a failure of the relay in the closed position. With this failure, power to the motor controller cannot be turned off by the machine controller.

The machine control board may have a bad relay and may need to be replaced. Check pins 1 and 5 of P16 of the machine controller and pins 1 and 2 of P1 of the motor controller. This should have AC line voltage when the motor controller is powered.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
LSLid Switch ErrorThe control should flash this error code if it cannot detect the lid switch opening and closing properly. This error code may also be used if there is a disagreement between the motor and machine controllers on the stat if the lid switch. The control should not allow the unit to run in this condition.

This code will also appear if the user presses the START key while the lid is open.

Open the lid or press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.
Back to TABLE OF CONTENTS
WHIRLPOOL
Calypso Matching Dryer
Failure
Code
ConditionCheck/Repair
PF Power Failure If the household power goes off and the control board was in RUN mode or PAUSE mode, the electronic control board will display a power failure error code.
E1 or E2 Thermistor Failure The dryer will not operate if the exhaust temperature drops below 18 degrees F. or exceeds 250 degrees F.

When the thermistor circuit is open (>50K ohms), the error code E1 flashes in the display.

When the thermistor circuit is shorted (<500 ohms), the error code E2 flashes in the display.

Normal thermistor resistance values:
60 degrees F. - 15.3K ohms.
70 degrees F. - 11.9K ohms.
80 degrees F. - 9.2K ohms.
E3 Touchpad or Software mismatch Flashes when there is a touchpad or software mismatch. NOTE: This error code is displayed only in diagnostics mode.
Back to TABLE OF CONTENTS
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.