Dave123
Dave123, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years of service. General appliance tech for most all makes&models

I have a new gas range, and I hear a persistent hum when I

I have a new gas range, and I hear a persistent hum when I use a burner. It usually goes away when I turn on a second burner, but not always. How do I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.
Hello i have a few questions first. How old is the unit? Where is the hum coming from? and what is the model number of the unit? Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unit is brand new. Just installed within the last two weeks. It is a Frigidaire FGF368GMC. The hum comes from the burners/cooktop, not from the back of the range. It gets louder or softer if I change the heat intensity, but it's not louder when the burner it hotter, etc. No rhyme or reason to it, really. If I turn on another burner, the hum goes away usually, but occasionally comes back.
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.
It sounds as though you might have some bad switches. However because the unit is brand new i do not suggest trying to fix the unit yourself(you might void the warranties on the unit) You can call the phone number in your owner's manual for service. All appliances come with a 1 year standard unit. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just so I understand better, what are the switches? The unit lights the burners just fine. It's when they are burning that I hear the hum.
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.
ah ok. there are air guides underneath the top that sound like they need to be adjusted. The regulate the air/gas flow. If they are not adjusted properly you can hear some strange sounds and have some discoloration in the flames, it is also possible that the caps and burner assembly may be partially deformed as well. casuing the inconsitent air flow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this something I can adjust myself?
Expert:  Dave123 replied 5 years ago.
Honestly you are looking for a professional on this one. If They are not adjusted correctly they can be producing carbon monoxide. You should have a trained proffesional look at this. Thank you and if i've answered your question please click accept.
Dave123, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years of service. General appliance tech for most all makes&models