Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag electric water heater that is 4 years old.

Customer Question

I have a maytag electric water heater that is 4 years old. Both the upper and lower thermostats are on the lowest setting of "hot". However, the water is absolutely scalding! This started happening about 6 months ago. When it first started happening the upper thermo would trip and need to be reset. It doesn't even trip anymore. The water is so hot I have to turn the power off at the electrical box because I'm afraid of a fire. Do you have any idea why this is happening?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you probably need the thermostat assembly. which basicly is temp. control. its the unit that use to trip that has the red reset button on it its the part you set temp. with,lowes carrys these if you give me the model # XXXXX your unit i will try and look it up for you.let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi bryan, the model number is XXXXX thanks, colleen
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I cant pull up your model # XXXXX database. but if you bring your thermostats to lowes they will find them for you. these thermostats where you set temp. are what control the heaters and are not shutting the elements down when they reach temp. make sure your power is off and you can take a picture of each thermostat just so you know the way they go back in.hope this helps Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I will try this and get back to you. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem, this is definitely whats going on with this, thanks talk to you soon, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

I replaced the upper thermo stat, but still had the issue of scalding hot water. I ended up calling Maytag and they suggested replacing the lower thermo stat. I did that last night and it seems to have resolved the problem. However, I suspect that since the reset button on the upper thermo stat was not resetting, that perhaps we had two pronblems. I am going to accept your reply and process my payment.

Thank you very much for your speedy response and all of your help. I probabaly would not have had the courage or inclination to go to Lowes if you had not indicated it was a fairly simply job.

I will keep you in mind for any future problems.

Thank you again for all the help.

Colleen
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome. its hard to say which thermostat it was without testing with meter but I'm glad you got your problem resolved, thanks for the accept.well wishes Bryan