Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a top loading whirlpool washing machine. Two weeks

Customer Question

I have a top loading whirlpool washing machine. Two weeks ago, I replaced the transmission. Today, when you start a load, it fills half way then the water stops and there is a faint buzz sound, like the motor and transmission is stuck. I am about to start working on it to see what the problem is - but before I did, I thought I might ask for some ideas as to where to start.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
make sure its not your water valve buzzing before tearing it appart again. you say it only fills half way it sounds like the valve is clogged. listen toward the back where the fill hoses connect and see is noise is comming from the valve.check your screens in hoses make sure ther not clogged. let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like it is coming from underneath. I actually took the screens off because we have pretty hard water and they were clogging by the minute.

I'll listen again, but what if it is not the water valve?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well if it doesnt comeplete the fill it sounds like the valve. the water doesnt fill all the way right? or does it fill where you set it to fill to? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It only fills partially. Is this an easy part to replace?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it depends on model. do you have a volt meter? do you know how to take the cabinet off? what is the model # XXXXX'll look at it . thnaks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The model is a LSQ9110LW0 whirlpool.

I do have a volt meter. I am not sure about how to remove the cabinet, I think there is a video on you-tube that I can check out.

I have to leave for a few hours.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok we can get back to this later if I'm still in but have to check on my mother tonight and hope to be on later anyway. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I'm back on line and am going to see about taking off the cover.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I think I found part of the problem. When I changed out the transmission, it looks like either I did not tighten the bolts all the way on the plate that attaches to the transmission that then allows the motor to be cliped on to the plate. There was a bolt inside the motor and looks to have caused a short in the motor. I took out the screw, but when turning it on, I get a humming sound from the motor and then after a few seconds, it clicks off. I am not sure whether I destroyed the motor or it has something to do with the water valve.

I'll have to attempt to fix it more tomorrow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you can tell me how to trouble shoot the motor, or the water valve, I have the cover off now.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well you need a meter for that,why did you need to change transmission on this to begin with? what was the problem then? what you can do is test the machine with the cabinet off to see whewre the noise is comming from, you can tell better with it off. try fiiling it now and see where noise is. it doesnt make sense to be the motor if its not filling completely.let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The washer stopped spinning but if you spun it by hand, it would eventually catch on and continue spinning. I asked several people and they recommended that it was the transmission.

I changed the transmission and it worked great for 2 weeks and just last friday is when we got the 1/2 fill and buzz sound.

I think that the bolt worked it self lose and then got in the windings. It appears to be shorted out - I'll have to check it with a meter tonight, but that is my guess. The water valve may be bad too, but at this point, I am pretty sure the motor is fried. I pulled the bolt out and it had some melted copper on it.

I'll let you know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
oh , thats not good, sorry so long getting back to you i was working. you may have friedthe motor, have you tried the motor since you pulled bolt out? it may still work but I doubt it if it had melted copper on it. the reason I question water valve is its only filling half way, but this may have to do with the motor.hope you didnt short out the timer.well let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

Ok, replaced the motor and the water valve. Still only filling 1/2 way. Could I have fried the water switch?

I don't know what to do at this point.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
boy its tough without meter, do you have one? you have to put a volt meter on the fill valve to see if power is dropping off half way through fill,let me know Bryan, p.s. I'm having Internet problems so be patient, thanks Bryan