John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GWL11 is throwing water out during the spin cycle. The

Customer Question

My GWL11 is "throwing" water out during the spin cycle. The amount of water seems to be determines by the size/weight of the load being washed. The water doesn't seem to run down the outside of the machine--it gathers at the front bottom--and there's a lot of water along the rim when I lift the lid. Also, my husband washed a few small area rugs and the machine kept going out of balance and dug a groove out on the top of the tub. Since I noticed the groove and water at the same time, I'm supposing that they're related, but I don't know what to do about it. I love my washer, but if it's going to cost me a lot to fix it, I may as well get a new machine. I purchased this one in July 2005, so it's now 3 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
hi thanks for the question. check to see if when the water drains out its coming out with good flow. it could have debris in the pump ,from the rugs that your husband washed. check that. rugs should not be washed in a domestic washer. please accept with a positive feed back please. i am here to help you thanks also check the deverter valve it could have some debris thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked the water flow as it drains, and it is good. I loosened the lid and raised the top up so I could watch and see what is happening while it's performing a cycle. Nothing happens until the spin cycle when water coming out of top-right side of the tub and splashes all over the place. I watched as water splashed toward the inside front of the machine and ran down to the floor--exactly where the water comes out when I noticed the leak. Any suggestions?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
hi check the seal that goes around the wash tank a clip could have loosened check the clips it only leaks on the spin .
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
also the bleach dispenser hose sometimes it comes off and leak thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The clips are all in place and tight. Where is the water that's being spun out supposed to go? Right now, some of it hits the rim of the tub and goes back into the tub while the rest gets splashed as I was describing before. The faster it spins, the more water it splashes. Where is the bleach dispenser hose?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
what is the make of this washer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is the GWL11
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
that is not a make and that model does not show up
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oops. I'm sorry. My paperwork says it is a Fisher Paykel GWL11

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I'm seeing this properly, #1 indicates where the water is coming out and going into the tub and splashing toward the front inside of the machine. Is that what you wanted to know by sending the schematic?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
well there has to be a reason that this is happening. and i still think that the pump is not fast enough to pump the water out before it starts to spin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So how can I check this if the water is coming out okay?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
start a new load. and let it pump out .,.is the drain hose in your sink or in a drain pipe if its in your sink ,you should be able to see the water flow .if its slow you have some obstruction, in the pump or in the hoses
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, I'll try it again.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
ok is it in you sink
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, but I'll see if it will reach. If not, I'll let it drain into a large garbage can.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, so it seems to me that it's draining well, but water is coming out of the place I told you about by the drum at the same time. Should that be happening?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
is the water coming out with force or not because if all the water is not out of the washer the centrefical force of the spin action will raise the waret to the top and overflow. so its important that the water drains out quickly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The water is draining out quickly.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
hi did you look to see if theres not a hole worn down on the plastic tub
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In my first post, I mentioned that a groove had been worn into the top of the tub. I filled it and smoothed it out with Plumber's Goop. While it is not as smooth as it was originally, it doesn't have any large dips in it, and there are no holes.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
sorry. i did go back. yes you did say a groove. sorry .if thats the case then you need a new tub or try body fill. once the top is down ,fill with body fill ,it works real well .cheaper to try that ,then a new tub thanks the appliance doc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not familiar with "body fill". Can you explain a little bit about what it is and where I might find it?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
hi they sell it at auto parts. its to do body work on cars. you mix it up with hardner, and then just smooth it on the worn part. clean the plumbers goop off first. must be clean thanks good luck. please accept
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Thanks. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
thanks wow a good one
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
how did you make out