Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My new GE dryer is spitting out lots of lint through the vent.

Customer Question

My new GE dryer is spitting out lots of lint through the vent. Hardly any lint is captured by the lint filter. The repairman said 50% of the lint goes out the vent and 50% is captured by the lint filter. Is there a control that can be changed to allow more of the air to go passed the filter so less goes out the vent?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sounds like you may have a clogged vent or you need to take machine apart and do a good cleanining of the whole dryer. down inside the machine venting system is probably getting alot of lint in tha blower system. this will cut airflow to the outside.let me know model # XXXXX I'll look at system , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model DRSR495EG6WW. Purchased June 2008. Installed by Lowes where it was purchased. The repairman was here earlier this week and took the vent hose off and reached inside and cleaned out a bunch of lint. I think something is out of adjustment if the lint filter is being by passed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
that could be I've seen these lint filters not sit right, this should be still under warranty and if you attempt to repair it yourself they may void the warranty, this should be blowing outside real hard is it? sounds like the lint is not being blown through the vent to outside, try taking leaf blower and putting it on the vent inside house and see if it will clear vent all the way. if its clear and blowing outside strong then call g.e. and have them come out and take a look at machine, hope this helps Bryan