Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Samsung RS2577SL refrigerator. Last night it stopped

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RS2577SL refrigerator. Last night it stopped cooling. The lights come on, i can hear a fan blowing and an occasional "click" (presumably to start the compressor") but the compressor never starts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you may have a bad compressor relay. thats usually what causes clicking sound on compressor, this mdel # XXXXX XXXXX up as maytag ,the best thing to do is get the # XXXXX the relay on the side of compressor. is the sound comming from compressor? make sure because this also has a main control board that has relays in it also that might be making the clicking noise.first locate clicking then get back to me thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I don't think the click sound is coming from the compressor. I belive the click is from the solenoid or relay engaing. It appears that a relay or solenoid is engaging to start the compressor, but the compressor never kicks in.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I sure do. I am a degreed Electircal Engineer :-)

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok sorry I'm on the road working, can you test for 120 volts at compressor? see when it clicks if your getting voltage. if not you need control board, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No problem. A service repairman came and fixed it. It was a bad relay. That was your original diagnosis so i will accept and pay you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be so long getting back to you I just got home at 6.30 pm, glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks for accept, well wishes , Bryan