Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Triton dishwasher that was installed in June, 2001.

Customer Question

I have a GE Triton dishwasher that was installed in June, 2001. Once the door is locked and "start" button pushed it literally growls and does not fill with water. I pushed "reset/stop" and found that the heater bar did heat up but no water came in and no arm movement took place. I did this twice with no success. After pushing "reset/stop" it does growl and then nothing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you may need a electronic fill valve. another thing to check is your float, make sure its not stuck in the up position. if you get me model # XXXXX will check for valve for you .thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, when I get back I will provide the model number, it was difficult to read without my glasses!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know but I may have to check this in the morning have to step out for awhile tonight, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I ordered and have now replaced the water fill valve based on your input. I was successful in replacing the valve without too much trouble. The grumbling noise has now stopped although the dishwasher still does not take in water. I know water is available at high pressure as I found out when loosening the incoming line to the valve water began to seep out so I cut the water at my main supply.

I also popped off and cleaned the float valve/dome in the tub area. The inner piece seems be loose enough to work properly.

I also poured about a gallon of water in the tub and hit start. Although the machine made the proper noises I could tell no water was entering and after cycling through the water I poured in was successfully discharged/drained.

Any other things I can check? A relay? Anything? I called GE Tech support and they gave up after I repeated all the steps I had taken other than "schedule a service tech"

thanks

david

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oops, the model number in case you need it is
GSD5320D02BB

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you have a volt meter check for 110 volts to the valve, just put one probe in each of the wires on connector and run machine as if you were starting load then wait and see if it gets voltage , if no voltage then check the float switch, below for continuity when in the down position. let me know BryanPart 271444
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, no voltage at the connector. trying to find float switch
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After looking at the parts diagram, and the bottom of the dw, there is a red wire leading from the connector into what may be the float switch. its in a black housing/cover with wires leading from it into a bundle heading into the control panel.

It appears to have a snap cover of some sort but it is all hidden behind a metal plate with no visible means of being able to remove either the plate or the plastic cover.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I know what your looking at , it is a cover that does unsnap there should be two prongs to push in to release the cover , this is a though one to work on. let me know if you get cover loose . thanks Bryan