Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE TFX26PPDA (25.6 cu. ft.) side-by-side refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a GE TFX26PPDA (25.6 cu. ft.) side-by-side refrigerator that is about 7.5 years old. It is sometimes (about once every 1-2 days) shutting down the cooling for periods of time that cause the freezer to begin to defrost. I have already replaced the defrost timer and tested it, and the unit seems to cycle off of defrost fine as it should after 35 minutes of defrosting. Also, the defrost heater is working when the unit is in defrost mode. I can get the cooling to begin again by turning the freezer temp. control off and then back on again. I have tried increasing the refrigerator and freezer temp. controls, but am still seeing this behavior. I already had one visit from an appliance repair tech. before I replaced the defrost timer, and he said the compressor was "shot" and needed to be replaced (part cost $545 -- ouch). What other causes should I investigate, and how? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well it may be that your condensor fan in the rear next to conmpressor is either stopped or is stopping witch could make compressor overheat and shut down, 2 you may have a faulty compressor relay that overheats and shuts compressor down,3 you may have a bad cold control.check these things before anything else, let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan,

Thank you for the pointers. I have not tried anything yet, but the cold control seems suspect. When the unit stops, all I have to do (usually) to get it to start is to press the control knob in (even without turning it). Would this make you suspect the cold control over the other potential problems? Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

just adding.........I can even press the control knob with my hand 1 minute after cooling stops, and get the fridge to start again, making me think that the compressor has not overheated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan,

Please let me know any additional thoughts you have based on the information I provided.

Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sounds like the cold control for sure, sorry to be so late getting back to you, had allot on my plate today. I dont think compressor is overheating either, just change the cold control and you should be fine. click here to see and purchase cold control, http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=311112&PPStack=1 thanks again Bryan