Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My washer makes a grinding/whining sound everytime it starts

My washer makes a grinding/whining sound everytime it starts draining and continues until you stop it. If you stop/pause it then restart it runs fine until it drains again. What could be the problem? What can I do to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you give me make and model? is this a maytag washer? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A GE Washer Model #WWSE5240G0WW
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sounds like you have something in your drain pump.click here to see drain pump in your machine. http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/model-display.php if you take front panel off you will see drain pump on the right side, remove and check for something in pump. you can just look inside through drain hose hole. let me know Bryan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not see anything in it

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you spin ythe drain pump by hand and see if it makes noise. or if you have connectors you can plug this pump into wall and listen to it if you hear noise your pump is bad. if not check your inner tub and make sure you dont have a nail or something in one of you inner tud hole thats scraping the side or bottom of tub when it spins. if its not the pump or somthing in the tub then you probably have a bad spin bearing and thats something real hard to repair. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I check the Inner tub? Also wondering why it would only do it at the start then stop when I stop it, but not start back up when i restart.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well if its something to do with pump it doesnt run all the time only when its draining.does this noise start up as soon as the machine starts agitating after it fills?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no just when it drains, but if i pause the cycle then resume it stops the noise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I'm almost sure you have something in that pump . you cant always see it you may have to take pump apart to see , this is tricky, you need to mark it so you know how it goes back together and lines up right with the two halfs, and there is a rubber seal you have to make sure its seated right when you put back together,or it will leak, I dont normaly recomend the customer do this often but i believe theres something down inside pump. if you dont think you can do this dont, take it to appliance parts store and let them check it if you have one nearby , thats all I can think of. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are there fins inside it that can break? Could that be the noise?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
could be, if somthing went though it , they are plastic. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much and I will take it apart a little bit later. If the fins are broken can I replace just them or do i need a whole pump?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
unfortunatly you have to replace the whole pump. but you may find something inside when you get it apart so dont panic yet. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much. unfortunately i do not have the time to tear it apart now. can i let you know another way?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.