Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Washing Machine door unlocks

Customer Question

ge model wbvh6240 door unlocks and start pause light starts blinking have to open door and push button. It will run briefly and do the same.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you may have something in the drain pump. let me check model # XXXXX i'll be back Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is draining. But we have to restart it a dozen times to get through the cycle
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I think your door lock assembly may be bad and not staying locked. click here to see door lock asm. http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1168668&PPStack=1 look at picture at left and in the top right corner of switch theres a little button that pushes in and if this is broken or the switch it hits is inside then thats your problem, let me know Bryan, you can look at your door lock on machine not door and see if the little button is broke off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I checked and the little button looks whole and intact. I was hoping that was it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well it still could be if the switch that button hits is bad. let me check tomorrow at warehouse about this. iI'll get back to you then. thanks Bryan, P.S do you have and know how to use a volt meter?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the help.

Yes I have one and know how to use it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok I'll check this tomorrow , in the meantime if you can get at it test that littile switch at the very top of door lock and see if its got continuity when door is shut and none when open, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

I talk to the warehouse today and they told me same thing the door switches in these are having allot of trouble and does cause this problem but not the only cause. sometimes its the control board. I would try door switch assembly first though. hope this helps Bryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will pick up one and try that. If that isn't it I will look at the control board next. Thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok let me know , these machines today are way to complicated to diagnose in person never mind on line. thanks Bryan