Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My two year old Whirlpool over the range microwave stopped

Customer Question

My two year old Whirlpool over the range microwave stopped microwaving. Fuse is good and all other components are working except the capability to microwave.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you probably have a bad magnetron in this , can you give me model # ? I dont recomend you repair this yourself, the capacitor stores lethal amount of voltage even when its unplugged, I recomend calling for service on these. I will however if you get me model # XXXXX you price for magnetron so you wil know the cost of part if thats what it is, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan, thanks for your prompt reply. The Model number is XXXXX The service plus parts costs may show that it would be cheaper to buy a new one that having this one repair. Could you give me in addition to the cost of the magnetron the estimated repair cost.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sorry for late reply, long day at work just got here to see all the parts available for your microwave,!retrieve.action?pop=true&modelNumber=GH5176XPT-0.&pop=flush the problem with you attempting to fix this yourself I mentioned above but these are also very hard to test without special equipment. but at least you can get an idea of parts costs. hope this helps Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan, I wish to apologize for not replying to you sooner. I did follow your advice and considered not fixing it myself. The part was $72 but not having the corresponding equipment to check for proper settings, I dropped the idea. I bought a new GE microwave, which is the same size as the Whirlpool, for what I believe is less than it would have cost me to have it repair. The cost of the new was $200. Thanks for the help.