Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Tappan micro bake microwave that is about 20 years

I have a Tappan micro bake microwave that is about 20 years old. Just yesterday the heater portion just stopped working. The clock, timer still functions but no heat. Can you help? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
there can be many reasons for this, it most likely is on of four things, 1 bad magnetron (most likely) 2 bad high voltage transformer, 3 bad h.v. diode, 4 bad door switch , the only problem is this machine is 20 years old and parts may be hard to find and probably very expensive not to mention very dangerous to work on, I would recommend microwave replacing at this point, hope this helps Bryan. p.s. if you attempt to test this be aware that the capacitor stores large amounts of power even with machine unplugged and it can be lethal.