Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE JGBP30WEW1WW gas stove. There is an oven door lock

I have a GE JGBP30WEW1WW gas stove. There is an oven door lock which is used when the oven self-cleaning cycle is turned on. I need to replace the door lock mechanism. However I am not certain how to get access to it. It appears I may need to lift up the top of the stove, but want someone to confirm this before I start to tinker. Please confirm how to access the lock mechanism.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
let me check model# XXXXX'll be back ,thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
here is a diagram of top section of your oven. you have to remove burner caps and the screws marked #122 on this diagram and the you can lift top, do not try to lift top with burners connected you can break gas lines. take a look at diagram and get back to me. thanks Bryan. click here
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have removed the four screws marked #122 on diagram you provided (one at each burner). The top still will not release. It appears when I look at the top, there may be some clips holding it down however the diagram does not show any and so I was woundering if you have any other suggestions or things I should check. I don't want to force it.

Also the diagram shows part 115, range top support. Could this be holding the top also?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok there are clips in the front I believe , you have to use a screw driver and push these clips in and then the top should pop up. they are along the top underneath somewhere along the front about 3" in from sides , use a flashlight to see. let me know Bryan