Edward
Edward, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Small and large Appliance Technician, Electronic Tech., Handyman, 40+ years ex
3134513

I have a GE Profile refrigerator with the pullout freezer section

I have a GE Profile refrigerator with the pullout freezer section on the bottom. I am maintaining adequate cold temperatures of 0 degrees in the freezer section but the produce section can't get below 60 degrees. I thought that perhaps the high humidity lately was the problem and I defrosted but the problem is back again. The produce section got down to 40 degrees when it was working. Previously this year I have had a GE repairman (three visits) to work on what I guess was an unrelated problem (no cold at all). Do I defrost again and hope for drier weather?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Sorry to say defrosting will only help temporally. With the information you have provided the most common reason for the failure is a problem with the self defrost feature of the refrigerator. This will cause ice to form on the evaporator coils that are located in the back of the freezer compartment. Defrost failure is often caused by a failed defrost timer/adaptive defrost control. If the defrost timer/adaptive defrost control is not the problem the defrost heater or the defrost heater thermostat can also be the problem. These are located in the freezer compartment and can be accessed by removing the back panel inside the freezer compartment. These can be checked for opens with a volt/ohm meter. There is a fan in the freezer compartment that blows the cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator section to cool it. Make sure this fan is working.

Should you require further information or clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.