The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.
12112589

Out Hotpoint WD420 washer dryer has stopped working. It is

Customer Question

Out Hotpoint WD420 washer dryer has stopped working. It is 2 years old. The fault is that when starting the machine it seems OK at first with water going into the machine but does not seem to go into the drum (sounds like it also starts pumping water out at the same time). After about 30 seconds the machine changes and the on/off light starts flashing rapidly and reduce creases light flash but not as fast as the on/off. The only way to stop this is to switch off at the plug. No matter what program it is on the same thing happens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 5 years ago.

Hi andyt 1, possibly it is just your drain pipe to low down causing a syphoning affect? Check this and raise if to low. If not cured unplug machine,wait 30 seconds, turn dial setting to one of the dots(an OFF position) and then plug back in and switch on. The red light should flash rapidly and then stop signaling the machine has been reset. Now try setting your programme as normal. Also as a second thought, if your drain pipe pushes into a stand pipe, make sure you do not push it right to the bottom as this causes this problem also. So remember the three Rs RIGHT HEIGHT RIGHT DOWN? RESET.

Good Luck.Please click the accept tab, regards David.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
never had a problem with the machine having a syphoning effect before. the machine is connected into the plumbing for the sink so no stand pipe. the plumbing for the sink is about half way up the height of the machine so i shouldn't get any syphoning back into the machine. i dont have any off positings on the dial. The dots you refer too are settings for slow spin. fast spin and rince and spin. tried useing these as off postions as you described in your reply. red light doesn't flash when turned back on and still has same fault. when a program is selected. Any ideas? Oh and by the way. i noticed on the machine. the word aquirus. so the model number is XXXXX as i said in my original question. does it being an aquirus make any differance?

Regards