Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Kenmore dishwasher Model #XXXXXXXXXXX Ultra Wash.

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore dishwasher Model #XXXXXXXXXXX Ultra Wash. When I turn the timer/selecter dial to the normal wash mode the d/w acts like it is powering up, but then quits. The timer continues to run and some of the portions of the cycle function (drying) but not all. There is no spraying. What's up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Unfortunately, your model number did not come through. However, I suspect you are getting no water or the motor is not powering up or is siezed. Can you hear the motor come on at all? Does it make any noise or smell funny? Does it fill with water?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Kelly, yes the motor comes on momentarily. No smell. it fills with water, but will not drain. mod#6651552900
kenmore Ultra Wash
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Okay, how long does the motor run when it comes on? Have you checked to see why it won't drain? Is the air gap plugged?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have reassembled the unit and will recheck the operation to see if the motor is operating at all. Will get back to you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cycled it again and the motor is not coming on but it is filling with water and it won't drain. Probably the motor. How can I check the motor?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Well, you can check for voltage at the molex plug at the motor, or if you remove the bottom panels, you should be able to hear it hum. You could have something stuck in it causing the motor not to start. Let me know if you can hear anything when the panels are removed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry to be so long with this problem, too many distractions, 5 kids.
Will check for voltage and to see that motor is free. I will certainly accept your help and include a bonus when we finally figure this out. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Not to worry...and I understand distractions. While I have only three kids (all girls), we usually have a neighbor or two on any given non-school night! I am here usually every day or atleast every other...