Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17years

Venting a household drier will require adding sixteen feet

Venting a household drier will require adding sixteen feet to gain outside access, will this overload the venter motor causing premature motor failure? an alternative would be to provide a collector that separates the moisture and lint to drain and the hot air discharge back into the living space but I do not know where to aquire such a device?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

25 feet is the maximum length for a dryer vent; any length longer needs to have an inline supplemental fan midway to push the air out. I would recommend that the entire pipe be rigid 4" metal duct. This length does make the dryer work harder, in that drying times will take longer; the shorter the duct run, the faster the clothes will dry- thus less energy and less money to run. Rigid metal duct is smooth and allows the exhaust air to flow better and more efficiently. Ribbed flexible duct, makes it much harder for the air to move and has a higher potential of lint build-up, which is a fire hazard. It is against code to use any vinyl type flex hose.

I would not recommend using any system that blows the air back into the house. I know that these kits were being sold, but they are not good; they dump too much moisture back into the house, raising the humidity levels and increasing the growth of mildew/ mold, leading to decay of materials.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.