Richard, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience including many high end brands

Maytag MLG2000AWW Neptune Super Stack Gas Washer Dryer Unit.

Customer Question

Maytag MLG2000AWW Neptune Super Stack Gas Washer Dryer Unit. Washer drum appears dry, but it has water in it, as evidenced by sloshing sound when I turn the drum by hand. There is mold evident on the gasket.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.
The front washer Portion of the wash tub is filled and sealed with liquid. This is supposed to be there to keep the basket balanced during the cycle. The mold in the rubber boot has been a common problem and the replacement boot is made to be mildew resistant and also has a drain hole in the bottom to release any standing water. All front loaders will have oder and mold issues and the best way to help prevent is to leave the door open after using.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the Rubber boot replacement something I (a handy person, but not a Maytag service technician) could perform?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.
HICustomer It can be hard having never done one before to get it on properly expecially reinstalling the spring and cable that holds it on.If you do attempt repairing it yourself make sure you monitor the first load or two. I`ve seen boots that have come loose and flooded houses. let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks Richard