Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

I Have 11 year old refrigerator TBX25PAYARWW that has a blocked

Customer Question

I Have 11 year old refrigerator TBX25PAYARWW that has a blocked defrost drain. The long tube down the back is clear. How do you get to the place where the blockage is.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Part 226 is the where you need to get to. You remove the floor area part 622 in the freezer section.

Use a turkey baster filled with hot water. Squirt hot water down from the top and if it doesn't go all way to the pan, suck it back up and repeat. Also, you can use a small 1/4" hose to push down any crud there.

If you find you have heavy frost and/or ice in the freezer section this drain problem may be pointing to a problem with the defrost system.

Let me know if you would like more information.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bernie,
I assume I have to empty the freezer and remove the panel between the freezer and back of the refrigerator #201 to get to the #226 drain tube. I tried pushing water back through #315 but this did not work. I do not find and heavy ice in he freezer section.

Hi Dan,

Yes you would empty the freezer of food and remove that panel. You get to the part from inside the freezer.

I'm not sure how you would have gotten to 315. It looks like it is attached to #226.

You may be looking at waterline used for icemaker on the back outside of the refrigerator.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bernie

I went from the outside of the refrigerator by removing the long tube #314 to get to the 315 drain part.

Can I ASK you another question about a Dishwasher?

Hi Dan,

How did you make out? Were you able to clear he drain tube?

I just got home from work. I answer between jobs and assignments. I got tied up. So, I'm just seeing your reply. You can ask about the dishwasher if you would like.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bernie,

This refrigerator has been a problem from Sep. 06. Before I discovered the water coming from this refrigerator I though I had a roof leak because I had water in the garage below. I now have to sponge out the bottom every three days to prevent water on the floor.

I contacted GE and they confirmed that I had a blocked drain but could give no help to clear this except call there service number. Other people said very similar things to your answer but no body could tell me how to get to the drain entrance that is 4" behind the partition in the freezer surrounded by the heater assembly.

GE has made it impossible to flush this drain from the back of the cabinet since part 315 has two 90 degree bends. The part rotates but I do not know how to get it off without breaking it. Basically I wanted to know how much of the freezer must be taken apart and in what order to get to the drain entrance. Bear in mind that you must remove all the frozen food and put it insulted bins. I don't know if I will ever get this drain working before I buy a new refrigerator, It will never again be a GE.

Your web site has also been a frustration because I cannot seem to find the right way to close this answer out that results in you getting paid.
Customer

Hi Dan,

You would remove the inside back wall of the freezer and you should have access to the drain. Have you already done this and not been able to get to that drain?

The "heater assembly" is the evaporator and not shown on this diagram. You may have to parital disconnect it. However, you need to be extra careful if you do so. If you damage any of the tubing you will have a sealed system leak and then you will be looking for a new refrigerator.

I've not seen a drain that was accessed from the outside back wall. So, I would only work from the inside. If the hot water and turkey baster procedure is not working for you, have you tried snaking a 1/4" flexible plastic tube down thru it?

Also, there is heating kit that be purchased to keep the drain from freezing if that is your problem (and not crud build up).

I'm sorry that you are having such difficulty. I haven't seen this serious a problem with any defrost drain before.

The web site shows that you have paid. So, you needn't be concern with that. If you receive any "reminders" just ignore them.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out because this an odd one I would like to know what the resolution is. You can post back to this question.

bernie