Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience in commercial and domestic appliance repair

what would stop the refrigerator side of my RS21DCNS from cooling

Customer Question

what would stop the refrigerator side of my RS21DCNS from cooling and stop the digital indicator blinking
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name isXXXXX refrigerators are set up so that the refrigeration coil is actually in the freezer compartment and there is a fan that circulates cold air into the refrigerator. The temperature in the refrigerator is control by an air duct which is opened to increase cooling. If the fan has gone bad then you'll loose cooling in refrigerator section. If something goes wrong with the defrost system and the refrigeration coil in freezer get blocked by frost/ice buildup then that causes airflow restriction and no cooling in refrigerator. You can usually look at the back of the freezer compartment to see if any frost is on the back panel. If it is then you will need to locate the defrost timer which is located in refrigerator compartment near the controls. It is found in a small hole in the controls panel and you will see a small plastic button that as a slot in it that restricts the direction it can be turned. Use a flat blade screwdriver and slowly turn the control until you hear a click. The refrigeration should shut off and if you wait a few minutes you will see what dripping into a drain at the bottom back of the freezer. That is what will happen if the defrost element is ok. If you don't see any sign of defrost water then you will need to pull the back panel and inspect the element. If it appears ok then the next possibility is the small termination thermostat which is usually clammed to the refrigeration coil. It looks like a large button with a couple of wires protruding from it. It is about the size of a quarter in diameter and about 6 quarters think. The best way to check it is using a volt/ohm meter but if you don't have access to one you can use a continuity tester which are very inexpensive. It just tells you that the contacts in the control are closed or open. If the freezer is cold then the contacts should be closed and you should see continuity through it. I hope this is not to much information. I wanted to be thorough with the explanation and give you enough information to help you troubleshoot your problem. If you feel that I have been helpful, please leave positive feedback. Thank you for using Just Answer. Bob