Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE top load washer, and just had to replace the lid

Customer Question

I have a GE top load washer, and just had to replace the lid switch as it would fill and drain water, but nothing else. It now will spin, but not agitate.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
do you hear the motor running when its in agitate? you may need a coupling for the agitator , can you give me model #. also check and see if agaitor moves freely by hand , let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

The machine spins all the time, even when its supposed to be agitating. Its like its stuck in "spin" It starts spinning right after the tub fills, and also spins when its in the spin cycle.

The model number is:wcxr1070taww

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you have a bad transmission. unfortunately. I've seen this allot on this model the transmission has a spin lock in it and these break inside transmission, you have to replace transmission to repair this may be more than the machine is worth, my recommendation is to buy a whirlpool top load no frills washer. don't buy front load or you will be worst off then you are now.sorry i don't have better news. hope this helps though. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you Bryan...

I had a hunch that might be the problem, but wasn't sure how to go about diagnosing it, and you are also correct about the value of the washer...

Thanks again,

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no problem good luck and well wishes, Bryan