Jack Stiner
Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs of in-home appliance repair & 10 yrs of appl.,plumbing & electrical parts sales.
12253100

I have a Hotpoint side-by-side Model CSX22GR. Refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint side-by-side Model CSX22GR. Refrigerator side not cooling. Freezer side seems to be okay, but could be colder. Also, water for icemaker continues to squirt water even after tray is full. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jack Stiner replied 5 years ago.

Hello cgreen,

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Lets take one thing at a time. Look at the back wall in the freezer and tell me if you see and frost or ice. Is the fan running in the freezer, you may need to hold door switch in to check?

Do you mean that the ice maker leaks or is the water flooding the freezer compartment?

Jack

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No ice - fan is running. Water tray fills, but the water line keeps dispensing water at intermittent intervals.

cgreen,

So is there any frost on the freezer back wall?

Jack

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No there is no frost

cgreen,

Lets try this. Take the cover off the back wall of the freezer and look at the coils. Are they plugged with frost or ice. I am assuming that the refrigerator has been plugged in all this time. if there is ice build up. then we need to check some things. Do you have a multimeter?

Jack

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will have to take the back off. Yes, I have a multimeter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The coils are frozen solid. Yes, I have a multimeter.

cgreen,

Down behind the grille you will find the defrost timer It looks like this

Part 3348

The little gray button can be turned with a screwdriver, turn it until it clicks. Now see if the heaters in the freezer come on, this should take a few minutes. If they come on then replace the defrost timer.

If they don't come o then you need to unplug the refrigerator and test the heaters they look like this

Part 2776

They are probably going to be hooked together at one end so remove a wire from the end of the bottom heater and check with you ohm meter from the one unhooked end to the wire coming out of the other end of the top heater. So you are checking the circuit through both heaters. If you get a reading move on to the defrost thermostat it look like this

Part 3485

Again remove one wire from where it is connected and check for a circuit. No reading on either heaters or defrost thermostat which ever is bad. You will need to defrost the coils and you can do so with a hair dryer be careful not to melt the plastic parts and your done.

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask.

Please press the Green "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Thank you for choosing the Just Answer Pros.

Jack

Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have over 25 yrs of in-home appliance repair & 10 yrs of appl.,plumbing & electrical parts sales.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking about a continuity check or measuring resistance via ohms?

cgreen,

We are talking a continuity check using a ohm meter.

Jack

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for all of your help!

Hi cgreen,

Thank you for your accept.

Jack