Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrigerator is 2 years old. We have had several electrical

Customer Question

My refrigerator is 2 years old. We have had several electrical service interruptions in my area this week, so it is likely that either too much power or not enough power has caused a problem.   Now refrigerator is not cooling properly. When it runs, it makes a hissing noise, almost like something is draining.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you may be stuck in defrost and the noise your hearing is the frost melting from evaporator coils can you give me model #?thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have the model number handy as I am at work. It is a GE Select with a bottom drawer freezer. I can get the exact information around 5 or 6 EST this afternoon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no problem just let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
GE model SDL20KCSABS
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? are things still frozen in freezer? is it just the ref. section thats not coolind right? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Neither section was cooling properly - ice and frozen foods were melted and I've moved everything that was salvagable to my old refrigerator in the basement and turned this one off. I don't remember seeing any frost in the freezer but with the bottom drawer type it's a little difficult to see back there.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok . sorry I just got home from work, plug ref. back in and see if it cools by morning and get back to me ,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - I was out of town Saturday night and back late last night from the debacle in Indianapolis (Colts game). I let the refrigerator run the entire time I was gone, it was still making the same noises when I got back last night and was still not cool. I'm gonna get someone to come over and look at it. Luckily this is not an emergency as I have another one in the basement, just an inconvenience. thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
tell me about football I'm from ma. patriots? not this year! yeah unless you know allot about electrical its hard to diagnose these, sorry I coudnt be more help , ref. are getting more complicated every year and its hard enough to diagnose on site nevermind over the internet. good luck with colts this year god knows they dont have to woory about pats, thanks and well wishes Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand, things like this would be very difficult to diagnose on-line. Had someone over to look at it this afternoon and the compressor is shot - just my luck since it's out of warranty. Football, hmm, Patriots is a bad word around here - that's about all it takes to get the blood of a Colts fan boiling. The way the Colts are playing right now I wonder about the rest of the season - they can't even win in their new stadium!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I hear you! well how is new stadium? I moved to tn. 6 years ago and haven't even been to Gillette stadium since it was built, been to allot of one at old stadium. as far as colts go don't worry they will be fine. after all you have Peyton.!!! sorry to hear about compressor that a drag. well good luck and well wishes, thanks Bryan. P.S. my wife said to tell you, If I mention Giants in this house and I'll be living back in ma.