Jack Stiner
Jack Stiner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs of in-home appliance repair & 10 yrs of appl.,plumbing & electrical parts sales.
12253100

I have a Magic Chef oven and the pilot light is out, how do

I have a Magic Chef oven and the pilot light is out, how do I relight it?

Dear Dora,

How old is this oven? Are you sure that you have seen an actual pilot flame burning in the broiler area? Are you able to supply a model number and or approximate age of the appliance? Sorry, lots of questions but I need some information to answer your question properly.

Jack

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure how old the oven is, I've lived in the house for 5 yrs so at least that old maybe 6- 7 yrs old. I have in the past noticed a pilot light in the broiler area. I am currently at work but I could get a model number for you in about 30 mintues. I don't mind all the questions, I can't find anyone in my area to assist me.

Dora,

Unless your pressed for time then don't worry. If you want to wait to get home I will be around untill about 10:00 pm pacific time. But I do want to know for sure that you saw an actual flame down in the broiler and not just a glowing light. A 6 or 7 year old oven would probably be a electric ignition type unit. Let me know.

Jack

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jack,

I will check the model number when I get home and get back to you. And I wouldn't swear to ever seeing actual flame down there. I'll let you knoe, thanks for your help.

Dora,

Maybe this will help. Is this a single oven with cooking burners on the top? If so when you turn on the top burners do they make a clicking sound when they try to light.

Jack

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jack,

Yes it is a single oven and yes the burners make a clicking noise when they try to light.

Dora

Dora,

Alright then we have a winner. Your oven has a electric igniter. When you open the oven door you will need to remove the bottom panel in the oven. Once you take that out you will see a rectangular metal plate held on with a screw or wing nut. Remove that plate. You will now see a long tube with holes in it and towards the back of the oven you will see a small device attached to the tube. It looks like it has a grill around it and it's held on with two screws.

EAP727806 - <a href=Gas Oven Igniter" width="100" height="75"/>

Looks like this.

Before proceeding further please unplug the oven. Remove the two screws holding the igniter on to the burner tube and carefully pull the wires out from the back. There will be two wire nuts connecting the wires together.. Unscrew the nuts and remove the igniter. You will probably see the ceramic part inside the little cage is burnt or cracked. Take this part to your local appliance store and ask for a replacement. Compare the old one to the new one and make sure they are the same. Install the new part in reverse procedure and test the oven when you have all the pieces back in place.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you agree my answer has helped please click on the GREEN accept button as this is the only way we get paid.

Thank you for asking the Just Answer Pros.

Jack