Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

how do I stop the clanking noise that I think is coming from the refrigerator fan wheel

Customer Question

Kenmore Coldspot 106.70192000. I was cleaning under the frig with a vacuum extension and may have pushed on the fan blade while it was turning. A rapidly-repeating clanking sound started coming from that area. I opened up part of the back and could see that when the blade begins to move (and gets faster and faster) it doesn't make the sound until it gets close to full speed--so it doesn't appear that the blades are scraping on anything. I pushed on the entire assembly to which the blades are attached, and it can move in and out of the motor a little bit. So I wonder if that entire assembly is moving back and forth or if something else is causing the sound--and how I fix it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you may have bent the blades when you hit and now its out of ballance are you able to remove fan? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can get access to the fan if I take the back off the lower part of the fridge, but I don't know how to remove the fan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sometimes there hard to get at, the movement your talking about is normal on these condenser fans they move in and out a little but nothing to worry about. unplug the ref. and turn blade by hand and look at the blades to see if maybe there bent. let me know Bryan. p.s. be careful things get really hot back there don't burn yourself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't see the blades very well, but I can reach them from the back. I can grab one and spin the blades fairly fast, and they don't produce any sound. It is only when I plug the frig in and it spins much faster that the fairly loud clanking sound occurs. Anything I can do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

well the only thing to do at this point is replace the condenser fan , it may be on its way out and you just helped it along be hitting it.I can look it up for you they run about $30:00 i think , give me a little time I'm having coffee It's 7:45 am and I need to wake up a bit. thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Because you indicated that the entire blade unit moving in and out a little was normal, I figured that it had to be the blades scraping on something. So I bent the blades a little in many different ways until one time it spun without any sound. So it appears to be fixed!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats great , thanks for the accept, good luck Bryan