Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My 1964 model GE freezer (non frost free) is not cold enough.

Customer Question

My 1964 model GE freezer (non frost free) is not cold enough. It is about 35 degrees F. The light seems to be working normally (goes off when the switch is depressed). What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
since this is such an old freezer you may have developed a freon leak, do you hear any buzzing or clicking at all? what do the coils look like ? are they frozen at all ? check your door gasket also make sure its not hanging down on the bottom and letting warm air in. does this have a fan inside? if so is it running? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not hear any buzzing or clicking. The coils (inder each shelf and at the top ) look ok and they are not frozen. I do not see any change in the door gasket. It is not hanging down and I do not believe that this is the problem. I see no fan inside nor on the back of the unit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you here the compressor running? Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, Brian, I do hear the compressor running
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well I think you are low on freon then. its not something you can fix yourself though, these old freezers were great machines but to fix it you need to call a repair man and then hope he has the right freon for it.he also has to find and fix the leak.I wish I had better news. sorry Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, thanks. Now I know what it is.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
your very welcome and good luck . Bryan