Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool freezer

I left overnight and when I got back the upright freezer door had been open for a day or two. The bottom shelves were still somewhat frozen but the top is thawn. Is there a reset as I can't seem to get it going. I only have slight hum and the freon ball is very warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
it sounds like you may have a bad start relay on compressor. can you get me model # ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok Ev171NYMS04 LO 1 year old
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
is the fan inside running? this is only a year old? is the humming comming from compressor? look at you owners manual and see what the warranty is on the sealed system. let me know , if its five years you dont want to attempt to repair yourself because it will void warranty, let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fan is not running.It sounds like it wants to start then clicks off. I have the paper work but I would have to find the receipt. I will lose everything if i caan't fix it fast.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sounds like your relay is bad, where are you ? is there any appliance parts stores in your area still open? the relay needs to be replaced. let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Whats it look like and where is it located??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I Live in Cleveland Ohio.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
so its 5:25 there nothing open now, do you have someone close by with a with a freezer? unfortunatly theres nothing else to do except call a repair man for emergency service at this point. sorry I live about 5 hours from you but cant help . I'm in east tn. if you have allot of food in it you shoukld call someone , thanks Bryan. the relay is on the side of compressor, i'll will give you link to see it, tion=UNIT%20PARTS,%20OPTIONAL%20PARTS&documentId=W0501107&modelNumber=EV171NYMS04&productCategoryId=0142000&brandId=1198&modelName=UPRIGHT%20FREEZER&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components #19 and # XXXXX is what you need