Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

ge spectra xl44 gas oven and stove I turned on the broiler

ge spectra xl44 gas oven and stove I turned on the broiler after about two minutes there was a loud pop and flash of light. now the oven and broiler do not work. stove burners work fine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Since you were using the broiler I would suspect the broiler igniter blew out. Look at the broiler burner , in back mounted to the burner is the igniter. Two kinds - round or flat but work the same - silicon made in a spiral encased in an open metal case. They get very hot very quickly and that is what lights and keeps the burner on. So inspect that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this keeps the oven from working also? the broiler had been lit for a couple minutes when this happened
Well not normally but if it shorted out it could have damaged the entire circuit but still take a look at that igniter because you need to find what popped before you go any further.
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Replaced both igniters and oven nor broiler are working still. Broiler igniter was definitely blown. I do not see 120 v at the igniters when the oven is turned on. I hear the relay click What now?
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 years ago.

OK,

I will now need the model number of range to look up wiring schematic.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a Ge xl44 model #jgbp30wea6ww
Thank you
XXXXX XXXXX

OK,

You will need a volt-ohmmeter to do the following . Unplug and remove the back of range. On the electronic control board there is a 5 pin connector, there are two small white wires in this connector , set meter to ohms and measure these two wires - should get about 1100 ohms ( this is the oven sensor ) If that checks OK next plug range back in and on this same board with meter set to AC Volts measure from L ( red wire) to N ( white wire) should get 120 volts , if you do now set control to Bake and hit start you should now get 120 volts AC from N to BA ( yellow wire ) If you got as far as the very last check but no voltage from BA to N the electronic board is bad . Here's the part number WB27K10049 . One place to get it is www.partselect.com

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Tom. I get about 1 volt between Ba and N. When I put that part number in the search it says the control board is for a JGBP31WEC4WW. Will this work fine in my JGBP30WEA6WW?

Sorry - correct part number is XXXXX all the the other voltages and ohms check OK ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Everything else measured as you said it would.

Some places online have said the new part number for the control is WB27K10143

Is t08-2k a type of control or just another part# XXXXX the same control?

You'll find all kinds of numbers on this board . Everything but the GE part number . They are vendor numbers of some kind but nothing you can cross to a part number. All GE part numbers start with a W next letter B for ranges , R - refrigerator , H - washer , E - dryer, D- dishwasher, J- air cond., S - water product

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The reason I ask is that there are several t08-2k Ge controls that are a varying amount of $. Yet they all are genuine GE parts that look just like the one I have. And the WB27k10143 is supposed to have replaced the original part. I do not want to spend any more than I have to cause I am looking for a job right now.

The cheapest place I found to get the part using the second part number WB27K10143 ( which is the latest sub for WB27K10050) is www.repairclinic.com for $119.00 I can't tell you about the t08-2k parts you are coming up with - they may look alike but might not fit or have the right circuitry - don't go that route . Use the correct GE part number - WB

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I will let you know how it goes after I get the part