Edward
Edward, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Small and large Appliance Technician, Electronic Tech., Handyman, 40+ years ex
3134513

How do i know if the refrigerator compressor needs replacing

Customer Question

How do i know if the refrigerator compressor needs replacing or recharging?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the compressor doing or not doing?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A 5 year old maytag just stopped cooling but kept running. It belongs to an elderly neighbor of mine. So im trying to help her. She called a service tech. found out her warranty just expired. The tech told her she needs a new switch and a new compressor. I told it sounds fishy. One or the other but probablly not both. He quoted her 150 for the switch plus install. 200-300 for the compressor plus install. I checked and the switch was 15 and a compressor was 200. I want to know how to tell if its really the compressor that needs to be replaced or if it has lost its charge. A little troubleshooting help. I dont want any more service techs taking advantage of this little old woman. Shes has had enough of that already.

Thanks

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

It would help to know the model number of the refrigerator. It is not likely that the compressor on a 5 year old refrigerator failed. More than likely it is a failed start run capacitor or a related part in the start circuit. The only way to determine if a compressor is bad it to put gages on it. You have to have a license to connect to the freon system. If you can provide me the model number I can be more specific.

Should you require further information or clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Edward, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Small and large Appliance Technician, Electronic Tech., Handyman, 40+ years ex
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your response Edward,

I will order and replace both the switch and capacitor my self. I hope this solves her problem. She will be happy to have her fridge back. She will also be able to afford to eat next month.

Grant

P.S the Maytag model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and being a good neighbor. When you say switch I expect you are thinking the RELAY/OVERLOAD ASSY? The relay and the capacitor are likely the problem. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward